Thursday 8 November 2007

Amritsar now

This computer is playing up a bit but at least, unlike the last one, it's not ssssssssssssssssssssticking.
Where do I start? I've wandered all over Delhi and to tell the truth I'm glad to be away from it. It's just too full on. I went to see the Red Fort in the old quarter yesterday. It's HUGE and - er - red! Quite a sight when you think how long ago they built it.
After that I went to see the largest mosque in Asia which starts with a J. It can hold 25000 people prostrate praying at one time. There were only three there yesterday it must have been lunch time. So with that in mind and armed with my rough guide and a daft hat to keep the sun off my daft haircut (No 1 and a shave - 44p) I found a resteraunt I'd seen on the telly and is in the book. Because of the heat I wasn't that hungry so I ordered a half portion of both Chicken tikka and dahl with a nan bread. It was quite simply the best indian food I've ever had. That forced me to order thre shish kebabs with massala and roti. I did struggle towards the end but it was well worth it for the excellent food and the 2 pound 40 it cost!
I went for a wander after that through some of the busiest streets I've ever ben in. And you must bear in mind I've been in a few! I found the street with chickens. That was it, a whole street and every shop sold some kind of live chicken. I also found the square with the shops that all sold car parts, including reconditioned brake shoes. I asked around but no-one had a turbo charger for a Pajero. eventually I got on a bus and had to sit next to a goat! Right in the middle of town.
Early night last night because Mission Impossible 3 was on and I had to get up early for my train.
Like a good lad I was up and out of my hotel at 6 for a 7.20 train. I thought I would walk there because it would be quiet at that time of day. WRONG! It was complete bedlam.
I got on the train and it was one of the weirdest journey's I've been on. My friends want to go for dinner so I'll finish this tomorrow, because there's heaps more.