Tuesday 6 November 2007

Delhi

Here I am at last in Delhi. I arrived at 0330 yesterday morning. Bang on time. unfortunately my luggage didn't arrive until 1330 today. That meant I had the same pair of underpants on for three days. I tried turning them inside out but the button was in a strategic place and rubbed a bit!
My hotel is an absolute shithole. It's dirty, overpriced and very hot, and I'm on the fifth floor with no lift.
Delhi is a mad place! You tend to forget over the years what this country is really like on a day to day basis. Absolutely mental!!
But I can honestly say with my hand on my heart I'm completely and truly happy. I love this country. I'm sweating like a pig until I acclimatise, I'm drinking about three litres of water a day, eating like there's no tomorow and avoiding wandering cows.
The drive in from the airport was an eyeopener. Pitch dark and we were doing over 70 down the wrong side of a dual carriageway. We narrowly missed a bullock pulling a cart coming towards us. That driver earned his 3 quid for that 12 mile drive. The rickshaw drivers aren't much better. You keep hearing people screaming then you realise that it was you!
Last night and yesterday I've met loads of people. There were about 15 of us shared a table and we ordered almost all of the menu and picked at bits. It was delicious. Same with the chicken I bought in the street that was like eating a nuclear warhead!
Good thing is some people are going to my next destination so it's not only company but help with taxi fares etc when we go to the Waga/ Pakistan border ceremony.
Financial report. With the length of time I've been here = 37 hours. I've bought a set of clothes, (shirt and trousers), a new bag because my zip broke, 12 miles from the airport, three other taxis around Delhi, breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner yesterday, breakfast and snack today, heaps of beer (of course), a book, toothbrush, mosquito cream, coffees, washing powder, paid for phone calls and this time on line AND about half an hour ago I broke into my second 20 quid!
That's about it I'm going to change my shoes and go out for beer and food. Don't know what to have tonight there's so much choice.
Tune in soon for more!!!