Thursday 10 January 2008

Kannur

Another overnight journey which was a close call. I set my alarm but must have rolled on it during the night. I woke up and realised that the train had stopped. Looking at my watch it was twenty minutes after we were due to arrive. I leapt up and asked someone where we were of course he gave me the Indian name which wasted more time. I made it off the train with everything as it was moving off. Bit of a rude awakening. I dumped my pack and went looking for a hotel. First one I tried across the road had a room for 180/-, bit grotty but the bathroom was spotless, and it was quiet. I'd woken up too much so I went for a walk to get a paper and chai. Guess what I found, and Indian coffee house!

I took a rickshaw to St Angelo fort, a big Portugese ruin (there was nothing else in the book!). They were filming a movie there and they'd roped in about 40 westerners to play the British army from about 300 years ago. I knew two of them so we all sat and laughed at how pathetic the acting is in these films.

Back to my favourite place for lunch. 15/- (19p) for an all you can eat thali! I was stuffed, so I went back to my hotel for a snooze.

The only other place in the book is the beach so I had to go there. It was fairly empty but a lovely stretch of 10km sand. I sat there listening to music, (my Mp3 player is working again) until sunset then I went back and slept. Get's very tiring all this sunbathing.
And just to get you all jealous...