Thursday 10 January 2008

Cochi

The capital of Kerala. It took quite a lot of phone calls to arrange a hotel before I got there, but I'm glad it did. I found a hotel in the LP (Maple) and they quoted me 380/- a night. Bit over budget but beggars can't be choosers. When I got there I thought the rickshaw driver had taken me to the wrong place It was very smart and when they showed me the room.... It was immaculate, thick mattresses and cable TV. Oh and hot water too. I'd forgotten what that was. When he said my rate would be 330/- I decided to stay for two nights.
I was staying in the Ernakulam district and the rest of the city is spread over about five islands. I took a ferry to Fort Cochin and had a wander about. It was late and not knowing my way around I didn't see too much apart from the Chinese fishing nets. Great big wooden cantilever structures that they dip in the water and raise full of fish. There is also a little fish market behind them where you can buy fresh fish and go across to a shack that will cook them for you. There were all kinds, tuna, barracuda and another big one I didn't know as well as the usual smaller fish. Well, usual for over here. After that I went back and wasted more hot water. I went for a beer at a place in the book which was on the eighth floor it had stunning views all over the waterfront but it was a bit pricey. At about 9.15 I looked down into the street that had had been the usual pandemonium when I arrived and it was deserted. Bit of a scarey walk home that night.
Next day with the staff wondering where all their hot water was going I went looking for breakfast. I found an 'Indian coffee house' nearby. My favourite chain. Rock bottom prices and excellent food, and coffee!
That afternoon I took another ferry and armed with some maps had a walk. There isn't really that much to see. I found the oldest synagogue in Asia which wasn't very much apart from the floor. It was made of 1100 hand painted tiles with the willow pattern on them and every one was different. There was also a street full of antique (and junk) shops. One shop had a doorway which he assured me was at least three hundred years old. Beautiful carved wood and about twenty feet hich and ten wide. A bargain at 4 grand. Probably cost that to send it home. Still I bet it would be cheaper than UK prices.
Not a lot more happened. I just took the chance to feel clean for the first time in ages, sort my pack out and watch telly. What a life!