Monday 21 January 2008

Gokarna

I hadn't planned on coming here but both the books said it was nice and they were right!
I arrived at about 9pm after a rough bus ride only to get ripped off by the hotel I'd booked.
Next day I took a boat to the next beach down and it was beautiful. Very small with about eight beach shack/cafes all with a little 'village' of palm leaf huts behind them. I searched around and eventually got a room (more like a cell!) about fifty yards back from the beach. It was only 150/- a night. Two quid. I'll try to remember all the furnishings it had. Let's see. A bed. Yep that's about it.
It was a really chilled out place though. Very quiet. There were a heap of Italian travellers there and they were really nice. Not only that they had a CD player and played stuff like Pink Floyd all the time. There was a communal verandah with pillars so I put my hammock up right outside my door and almost took root!
The days just passed doing nothing. Get up, drink tea, go swimming, lie around, go swimming, lunch, lie around, go swimming, eat again. couple of beers and bed. What a life!
One day I was floating around in lovely blue water when out of the corner of my eye I saw a dorsal fin about two feet away. Panic? There was brown water splashing everywhere! I saw just after that that it was a dolphin and there were two more on the other side of me. They kept brushing past and giving me a bump. They were there for a while and they kept presenting different bits of themselves for a stroke. I tried to hang on to one and get pulled along but he was having none of it. Then they just disappeared.
All in all I was there for seven days and was gladf to just sit without having to travel, pack, unpack, find a room. As peaceful as it was I was getting just a little bored because there really was nothing to do. So I packed up and headed a bit further north to Goa, at last!