Sunday 23 December 2007

Pondicherry

Got here on the bus and was it raining? Yes!
The bus was tearing down the road at about 70 and he had no windscreen wipers. I couldn't see a thing so God knows how he could!
When I got here I had to search for a hotel and I just couldn't get one. Eventually Iended up at quite a pretentious place and managed to get him down from 900/- to 600/-. It wasn't really worth it. There was very little to do because of the rain. You just got soaked within seconds. I managed to see some of the town but it was always in short bursts. The next night i moved into an Indian hotel next door for 200/- which was almost the same as the other place.
Pondi has a fairly active pub scene (for India anyway) and there was always plenty of travellers to speak to. As usual you keep bumping into the same people. Which is nice really because meeting people every day gets a bit repetitive when you are asking/asked the same questions.
Anyway that was Pondi really, a bit of a washout and a couple of days talking in bars. I just wish I could have seen more of it.