Saturday 29 December 2007

Kanniyakumari

It didn't start very well when I was waitlisted 7 and didn't move on the list for my train. the train was two hours late anyway and as good as the station manager was he just couldn't get me a seat on the train. I got on in sleeper class and sat on my pack for two hours then at a station I moved to the class I had a ticket for (Indian trains are quite confusing until you get your head round them). After about an hour the conductor found me a bunk and I managed to get three hours sleep. Arriving at 6.30am at what is the most southerly point of India, I got a rickshaw to one of the hotels in the LP. The streets were absolutely jam packed. I'm talking the main street of a city on Christmas Eve! I didn't think this was a good sign. It took two hours of asking in hotels to eventually find a room and that was a hovel for 500/- (6.25).
I went in search of breakfast and ended up seeing everything there was and having lunch by 1230. I was pretty fed up by then. In the afternoon I got a deathtrap sorry ferry across to two islands and looked at that which was nice and I started to feel better but I was bored.
I didn't do much more I had an early night. 5.45am a l;oud knock on the door "Do you want to to see the sunrise Sir?" No I bloody didn't!
I got up though and went to see it. It was pretty spectacular and there must have been 10,000 people milling about watching it. Not bad for Christmas day morning!
Taking the opportunity I thought I would get out early. Standing at the bus station, which had nothing written in English, who should walk past me?