Saturday 8 December 2007

Gaya

Well, after yesterdays doom and gloom about rail tickets I was right! I got to the station and it was pandemonium. I queued in several different queues for over three hours to find that I didn't have a confirmed ticket. So I had to book into the hotel across the road that stiffed me for 400/- for a shitty , dirty room. At least it had a TV! The porter asked me the usual 'Your name', 'Which country', 'You want hashish' then I said I really fancied a beer. He went off like a rocket and came back with four beers wrapped in newspaper. Sat in front of the telly in my underwear with a beer in my hand! I was in heaven. Funny how you miss the simple things!
today has been quite cool. I asked this morning what time check out was and he said 3pm! Great with a train at 9.50pm. i then asked how much to keep my room until 8pm and eventually got that for 200/-. So I can park my bum and watch the BBC world service and I'm only across the road from the station and the hotel has a cracking restaurant.
I sort of had an epiphany type thing. I was walking across to the station and needed to use the ATM also. Without thinking I realised that I'd queued for the ATM like an Indian and I was pushing my way forward at the ticket desk like a native. Maybe I've been here too long. I first noticed it when I realised that I was getting badgered less and less. Must be the tan or the world weary demeanour! I have just been for a shave and was quoted 10/- straight away without even going through the tourist price haggling business.
So there we are. I'm confirmed tonight on the train to Calcutta (Kolkata) and then on Monday I have a confirmation to Puri and the seaside. All I've got to do now is find myself somewhere to stay in Calcutta and Puri. Everywhere says they're full but I know from experience if you turn up they usually have a room.
Coming home has been on my mind more and more. Not that I want to come home now, just the whole better booked earlier than later thing. I just think that I'm enjoying myself so much I don't want to have a hard end date which booking a return flight will give me. Maybe I've been on my own too much. When I meet people in Calcutta this weekend things will probably change. Oh for the impetuousity of youth!