Friday 7 December 2007

Buddha

I'm now in Bodhgaya which is in the state of Bihar in the North East of India. This is the holy town where Buddha achieved full enlightenment. I'm not sure if this means he got his electricity reconnected or what. There are a lot of monks walking around and in fact there is one sat next to me on the internet. I've been to see all the temples and they're nice but I'm starting to get a bit templed out! I think my last temple will be in Orrissa next week because it's the big one with all the mucky carvings from the Kama Sutra.
There isn't really much here to see or do. Yesterday I went to see a 80 foot Budha. That's 80 feet tall not a buddha with 80 feet... I also looked at the tree that the big man sat under and looked at a bit of ground that he walked on.
There is a large Tibetan tented village. They come here over winter. The food up there is excellent, in fact the grub here has been great everywhere I've eaten. I actually had meat yesterday, well chicken. First time in over three weeks! Not through choice it's just that the northern part of this country is predominantly veg. Tomorrow in Calcutta I'm going to a world famous tandoori restaurant and I'm having as much meat as I can stuff in my gob!
That's if I get out of here. I booked a ticket with the agent two days ago and he told me today that the computer which deals with the whole of Indias train reservations is broken. From what I can gather the country is starting to grind to a halt. The papers say that it should be fixed today. I hope so because I've kinda burned my bridges. I've checked out of my hotel and the station is 15km away and all the books say not to do the journey at night because of bandits. If I'm stuck there are 'retiring rooms' at the station but from what others have told me they can be a bit hit and miss. I'm not staying in Calcutta long (if I ever get there) Two nights then I'm heading further south to Puri which is a seaside resort. So I'll have a paddle and try and decide where to go after that. I've looked through all the books and even on line but there doesn't seem to be anything else to see/visit between there and Chennai (Madras) and that's 17 hours by train away. Hopefully I'll meet someone in Puri heading north and se where they've been.
I've been enjoying the (relative) coolness of the north. Now is when the temp starts to rise. Goa stays at a steady 33 degrees everyday and I'm going a lot further south towards the equator.
Another reason I'll be glad to get out of here is the bloody mossies. I've never been bitten like this before. The only thing that is different this trip is that I don't smoke. I've been wondering if the trail of fag ash actually kept them off me before!
I just bought a CD of chants. You here this one particular chant everywhere and it sort of grew on me. So I bought a CD for a quid and, of course, I can't play it until I get home where I'll probably find that it's Nana Mouskouris Greatest Hits.
My MP3 player isn't working and I'm not a happy chap!
I could murder a beer. Why do I always seem to visit the dry towns and states?