Wednesday 14 November 2007

Jaipur

Well I went to the border ceremony (Pakistan/India) . Whoever thought up that ceremony had to be pissed and on drugs at the same time. Even the people around me were stumped. I asked how we could explain that to people back home and the reply was that we couldn't even explain it to each other and we'd all just witnessed it!
Still, it was 26 km each way and I paid 200/- so that was 2.50 for the round trip!

I took the over night train from Amritsar to here in Jaipur, Rhajistan. That was an experience! It was limited choice either unreserved 2nd class or sleeper class. For a 19 hour journey I splashed out and went sleeper. For the 800+km journey I was a little over 3 pounds. I slept fairly well but the goat at the other end of the carriage kept bleating and waking me up!
It's the way that the Indians travel and really gets you into the spirit of the country. You get used to being stared at very quickly, but the friendly spirit and the camaderie of your little temporary community is an experience to remember. everyone is so nice, including you in everything and everyone shook hands when we arrived and said goodbye.
so I arrived in Jaipur with no hotel reservation. I went to the hotel that everyone talks about and gave them my best 'I've just been on a train for twenty hours - give me a bloody room' look. And they did. This place is the nadir of budget accom in India. Spotless, cheap, friendly and with a rooftop cafe that's cool and peaceful. I could really stay here for ages ( but I'm leaving in an hour!). The past couple of nights have been quite a party. We discovered an off license around the corner and the hotel said we could bring stuff in. So we have had a good time. A fair mix of Ozzies, Kiwis, Danes, Yanks, Brits and Germans. I spent yesterday on an auto rickshaw tour of the sights with an american girl. (A lawyer, along with the other lawyer, the doctor, the shepherd and the financial analyst that were at the table last night).
We left at 10 am and got back just after five. We some pretty amazing things and were always met by the driver immediately and the whole day cost us 300/- which is 3.75!
Moving on today to Rathambore, only two and a half hours, which is where the tiger reserve is. Hope I get some photos for Kirsty! In company with the American for the next few days then I think everyone that I have met so far is going to Pushkar for the camel fair on Fri/Sat. So that should be a blast. Pushkar is dry but we're all stocking up so we should have quite a party.

A bit rushed but hey ho thats the travelling life! Will post more as the opportunity arises.