Saturday 10 January 2009

Hampi

After our last supper together as a gang Julia and I caught the night bus to Hampi. Arriving in the morning it was like arriving in Bedrock. I wouldn't have been surprised if Fred Flintstone came round the corner. Hampi is an old ruined city. There was a king who lived there and all the entourage. The ruins coupled with the landscape was just breathtaking. We spent the first day on foot in the local area. Next day I hired a scooter for the day for the princely sum of 100Rs (1.30) and we zoomed around looking at the further away things. This place is a World Heritage site and yet we could be in huge temples all alone. Weird. Two nights/three days was enough so we packed up and took a brand new rickshaw (the driver was so proud, he told us every five minutes that it was new!) to the station in Hospet. I've just remembered I took video of part of the journey which I haven't looked at. That night we took the sleeper train to Bangalore.
I'm sitting here sweating and dying of thirst so I'll do Bangalore this afternoon. Shouldn't take long it was crap.