Saturday 5 January 2008

Varkala

A quick rickshaw ride then 40 minutes on the train to beach hop here. We didn't have reservations but a hotel let us leave our packs to go look. Talk about inflated prices for New Year. Anyway we all found different hotels mine being 700/-. On getting out of the rickshaw having collected our packs a bloke asked me if i wanted a room for 300/-. we all had a quick look and I jumped at it, clean and tidy looking onto the beach. The others had already paid deposits or for a night so they would have lost money.
Varkala is basicaly a clifftop with loads of shack type restaurants and shops seling the usual tourist crap. Then if you go down steep steps you come to a very nice beach. The weather was beautiful and it was very laid back. New Years Eve was a real party, everywhere was pumping out loud music and the atmosphere was great. I got to bed about 4am and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Just as well because later on the first I started really sweating and shivering and felt like poo. I tossed and turned all night and was just as bad in the morning. The hotel staff were great. They got me a doctor who said it was like malaria but not (I have to watch out now for certain syptoms and act quick) then he gave me a list of medicines. You can buy anything over the counter here you don't need a prescription. The staff went and got my stuff and they also went to the cafe along the road and came back with soup. They did this for two days,constantly making sure I was OK. It just went all of a sudden although I keep bursting into incredible sweats. Apart from that I feel fine now.
It was a bit of a low point and talking to other travellers they have been the same when ill. Do I go home, what am i doing here etc. However I got on the road again for a short hop and it brightened me up totally just to be moving again.